Wednesday, August 19, 2015

My family's new pet...tree

When my dad was in Boy Scouts, he planted a Sequoia Gigantia tree in his parents' backyard. Now, over 40 years later, it's a gigantic tree that towers over the backyard, lending lots of shade. Now, he wants to plant another one in our backyard. So over Spring break while we were California, we bought a Sequoia sapling at a gift shop (what? I know...) and brought it back. It currently resides in its own pot on our back porch.

I keep joking that this is our family's new beloved tree because they said a dog was too difficult to take care of. ;) So far, Sequoia hasn't wilted yet, and has had lots of new growth. Her new tips emerge as a lighter green and then later obtain their rich dark green we're used to.

I decided to whip out my watercolors and paint her portrait to remember her baby-years.

I painted straight into my sketchbook, and was surprised the paper held up so well. I have been trying to hold back on the water to avoid the paper-curling phenomenon I've been battling.


And here's the scanned in version:

July 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment