Sunday, August 9, 2015

Horse in the style of Traditional brush painting

I'm experimenting with new art styles and subjects this summer. I was recently looking up pictures of the Chinese character for horse, ma, and stumbled across some beautifully done paintings of horses in the traditional Chinese brush style. Brush paintings are supposed to capitalize on the negative space, showing just enough lines to recognize the subject. I like the lightness this style lends--the feeling of movement like you can't quite capture the subject because it's too busy being full of life.

I didn't have my watercolors with me so I tried to duplicate the style with pen instead. I I found it interesting, experimenting with the thickness and lightness of the lines. You can tell where I started, fully filling in the black, and then when I learned to ease up and open the coloring to allow the paper to show through.




July 2015
Inspired by this




No comments:

Post a Comment