Thursday, July 23, 2015

New pen, new quote, and a curve in my life

This is a long post, but please bear with me.

This past week has been a real curveball for me. In possibly one of the worst ways possible. But my friends have rallied around me, and believe me, they are Life. I love them each to death, and every little thing they do (even something as simple as "How are you doing today?") means the world to me.

I have two things I want to talk about in today's post. The first is about my new pen. My usual go-to pen for drawing is this one. I buy packs of 12 at my office supply store, and while a bit pricey (and occasionally smear-able if I'm not careful with my erasing), they make a nice clean line. But I finally decided to branch out and find a thicker pen with a felt-like tip. I used to do a bit of calligraphy when I was younger, and I hoped a broader-tipped pen would help me revisit that phase of my life. So far, I love it. It's so nice to have a thick line I can use to practice and improve my typography. The tip is thick and pretty even, and the ink is a very nice black. So I'm quite ecstatic about the new opportunities from this.

The other thing I wanted to talk about is a bit heavier. I want to talk about how to help a friend who is going through a difficult time with a relationship. This is something I myself was bad at until I had a relationship end (four years after my Bestie's first relationship ended--I'm so sorry I didn't know how to comfort you, Sweetie!), and I want to give a tip to the people out there who are confronted with a friend going through a difficult situation but don't have the experience to know what to do to help them. In the wake of my situation (I call it The PS right now), my friends fell into two groups: those who had had at least one relationship, and those who had never had a relationship. I don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful or unappreciative of my friends who didn't know what to do with me, because I'm not. It means the world that they tried when they were out of their depth and comfort zone. I love them for that. But there's one question I wish they had asked me: "Do you want to talk about it?" It opens the door for me to make my choice if I want to cry over it or change the subject and distract myself. And this makes a difference. It doesn't mean I want advice they may not know how to give, or pressure to make me feel better. It just leaves the door open for me to talk. I think it's the best thing a friend can ask me.

So I think I got a little bit off-topic, but my latest art comes from the hailstorm of a week I've had. It's a quote from Christopher Robin, and I think it embodies the feelings I have right now or hope to believe in the future.

If you made it through these blocks of words, thanks for reading about the update in my life. I hope you are having a better week than me.

July 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment