Thursday, May 21, 2015

My Neighbor Baymax

Baymax from Big Hero 6 is quite possibly the friendliest, biggest, squeakiest best friend a kid could have. As a student in the STEM fields, this movie was exactly something I wish I had seen 7 years ago. It shows just how cool science and engineering is.

But since I am 20 years old instead, I spent a lot of it tearing up. I blame it on hormones and lack of sleep, haha.

I always find it strange that in university, the movies that are the most packed are the 'kid' ones like Frozen and Big Hero 6 (both fantastic films that I enjoyed...multiple times, ahem).

While walking out with my friends after this particular movie, my friends were talking about how touching the relationships between Hiro and Tadashi, and Hiro and Baymax were, and I couldn't help but think of this scene from Totoro. It's the perfect amount of love and serenity.

So this was born from that. Using multiple references, I first drew with pencil, then scanned and scaled it down to fit on post-card-sized watercolor paper where I went over it in pen (which was water-based, I soon found out--darn), before using watercolors.
My neighbor Baymax (c) kirsten Ma


January, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment